Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Renting a car? A cautionary note from friends

Here's a note from a friend I met in Cabo, a good thing to remember when renting a car, wherever you are:

"We had our first major incident in Cabo when returning our rental car on Saturday. They charged us for some scratches on our car to the tune of $150 that were definitely there when we rented the car. Unfortunately for us, the copy of the agreement that I signed did not show the scratches as none of the carbon went through. Upon reviewing the original, the area was marked; however, they claimed that it was a different set of "new" scratches. When the clerk called me a "liar", I nearly decked him, but I got my wits about me, told him to itemize everything on the bill, and made it clear that they would never see a dime as I'm convinced that Citibank will support our claim. So, what's the moral of the story and something you may want to share with all of your traveling friends. Use your cell phone or digital camera every time you rent a car, and take thorough pictures of the vehicle before you leave the agency. We actually did that in Austria a few years ago because we had to leave the car in a parking space early in the morning when no one manned the rental car booth, and I wanted proof later (that I didn't need) if they claimed we did damage to the car."

No comments: